Salifu Dagarti was born in July, 1913 by a former Sergeant Major of the Gold Coast Regiment.
Salifu Dagarti was enlisted in the Gold Coast Police at age 17 and rose through the ranks to chief Superintendent in July, 1960. He had a drill training with the Brigade of Guards in England in 1954 and later became a drill inspector at the Ghana Police training in Accra.
In the year 1964, Salifu Dagarti met his untimely death through a coup d’état by an assailant at the Flag Staff House, at the presidential palace. This occurred during his discharge of his duty as the head of Dr Kwame Nkrumah’s personal aide de Camp.
Salifu Dagarti was Selfless and passionate towards the under privilege in the communities where he finds himself by providing young adults both men and women with education and employment. He was patriotic and even stood up to defend the nation when his life was in danger during the coup d’état.
HAJA NANA DAGARTI
Haja Nana Salifu Dagarti, who set up the charity,is the daughter of His Excellency the Togbe Kutor Ibrahim Kojo Salifu who is the son of Salifu Dagarti and Patron of the Foundation. Honurable Salifu Dagarti was well known for his kindness and commitment to charitable work. This was carried on by his son His Excellency the Togbe Kutor Ibrahim Kojo Salifu after his death.
Haja set up the Foundation to continue the good works in memory of grandfather Salifu Dagarti.
This will be done by, working with village councils, Non Governmental Organisation, elders and local organisation; help provide people with basic amenities with which they can help themselves, support community projects that provide schooling, provide vocational training and employment for young people, to help disabled children and children with HIV/AIDS who are often ignored and overlooked by the communities, sanitation and safe water supplies, by identifying their educational weaknesses and seeking ways to help overcome them providing them with information and basic farming implements as well as the promotion of environmentally friendly activities and Helping them to identify unhealthy lifestyles and finding ways of curbing them.
• To raise awareness about the plight of people in Africa
• To identify the causes of poverty in rural Africa
• To help provide people with basic amenities with which they can help themselves
• To provide education schemes for all children, but especially for the farming children
• To help disabled children and children with HIV/AIDS who are often ignored and overlooked by the communities
• To provide help for the elderly men and women
• To provide training and employment for young people
• The advancement of education and training;
• The relief of Poverty, Sickness and Distress;
• The Promotion of Good Health; AND
• The Provision of Recreational Facilities in the interest of Social Welfare with the object of Improving their condition of Life;
• To advance Education of the public on all aspects of the African History and Culture.
• Provides human resources
• Provides buildings / facilities / open space
• Provides services
• Provides advocacy / advice / information
• Sponsors and undertakes research
• Acts as umbrella and a resource body
The patron of SDF, The Honourable Ibrahim Kojo Salifu(farleft) inspects a farm made available to a family in Sovie ( a village in the Volter Region of Ghana). The family which was on the brink of starvation is now productive and can afford to take their children to the local school. This has been possible due to the SDF Farm-Help Scheme.
September 2004: His Excellency the Togbe Kutor Ibrahim Kojo Salifu and (Haja Nana Salifu), on our way to inspect a local all-age school in a village in the Volta region of Ghana which is being refurbished by SDF. When it is finished in 2008 it will have four classrooms so that children of different ages can be taught in their own room. His Excellency the Togbe Kutor Ibrahim Kojo Salifu did the design/plan.
Children wearing some of the clothes donated by SDF in 2006. The clothes were donated by friends and relatives in UK
Click the above titles for more information